Aunt pushed 3-year-old boy into Lake Michigan near Navy Pier, sources say


CHICAGO (TSWT) — A 3-year-old boy who was hospitalized in critical condition after being pulled from Lake Michigan near Navy Pier was pushed inside by his aunt, according to police sources.

Sources told TSWT 2’s Brad Edwards that police have surveillance video showing the boy’s aunt pushing him into the water. We have yet to see the video.

Police told TSWT 2’s Tara Molina that charges are currently pending against “one person”.

See also  Former Gloriavale Woman: 'Are they trying to work us to death?'

3-year-old boy pulled from Lake Michigan near Navy Pier was pushed in by aunt, sources say


The Chicago Fire Department said investigators determined the boy went into the water around 1:23 p.m. Monday. Firefighters arrived at the scene at 1:32 p.m. and had divers in the water by 1:35 p.m. to pull the boy out of the lake at 1:42 p.m. So the toddler was in the water for almost 20 minutes. He was taken to Lurie Children’s Hospital in critical condition.

As TSWT 2’s Jermont Terry reported, the little boy remained in very critical condition in Lurie Monday night. As of Tuesday 3 p.m., the boy was still being treated at Lurie Children’s.

Police initially said the preliminary investigation showed the boy’s fall was accidental. But after asking questions and speaking to those at or near the pier, they backed down that claim and said it was unclear.

After the boy was pulled from the water, police set up a crime scene along the north side of Navy Pier, with part of the pier cordoned off with red tape.

Police say the child was with a guardian when he fell into the water.

Area Three detectives are investigating and police confirmed late Monday that they are questioning a person of interest. Radio communications indicated that police put the boy’s aunt in a police car after the boy was rescued.

Navy Pier issued the following statement Monday night: “Navy Pier is deeply saddened to hear of the injury of a child who was recovered from the water this afternoon. We are working very closely with the Chicago Police Department as they investigate the incident. and his loved ones.”



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here