A former Australian swimming coach, Dick Caine, has been accused of sexually abusing teenage girls he coached in southern Sydney more than 40 years ago.
The 76-year-old was arrested at a Condell Park home early Wednesday.
Acting Superintendent Chris Nicholson said the man was charged with nine offenses involving girls aged 15 and 16.
He faces six charges of carnal relations and three charges of indecent assault.
“We will allege that these offenses occurred in a number of locations in and around the southern Sydney area in the mid-1970s,” Acting Superintendent Nicholson said.
“These allegations are very serious (…) and the investigation is still ongoing.
“I would also like to salute the courage and bravery of the victims who have come forward.
“It is never easy for a victim of sexual violence to come forward and tell their story to the police,” he said.
NSW Police began investigating in January 2021 after receiving reports of multiple sexual and indecent assaults on a teenage girl at a swimming school in Carss Park in the 1970s.
Kings Cross detectives set up Strike Force Coco and uncovered sexual abuse allegations about another teenage girl from the same school, also in the 1970s.
Acting Superintendent Nicholson said the incidents occurred “in a number of locations in and around the southern Sydney area in the mid-1970s”.
Caine is recognized as one of Australia’s most successful swimming coaches and was inducted into the Australian Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame earlier this year.
He was refused bail and will appear in Bankstown Local Court on Wednesday.
– with the PAA