Fernando Alonso joins Aston Martin in 2023 | Formula 1 News

0
1

Experienced Spanish Formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso said he “plans to win again” after Aston Martin announced on Monday that he would join the team on a multi-year contract from 2023. The two-time world champion, who turned 41 on Friday and coming to the end of his contract with French team Alpine, will replace German driver Sebastian Vettel, a four-time champion, who announced his retirement from Formula 1 last week at the end of the current season. .

Alonso, who won his world titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006, said the Aston Martin team – owned by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll, whose son Lance is driving the other car – “clearly applies the energy and dedication to win” and is “one of the most exciting teams in Formula 1 today”.

See also  Singapore Grand Prix: Sergio Perez wins, Max Verstappen seventh | Formula 1 News

“I have known Lawrence and Lance for many years and it is obvious that they have the ambition and passion to succeed in Formula 1,” said Alonso, who finished eighth in Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix and currently ranks 10th in the world championship.

The Spaniard made his F1 debut in 2001. After winning his world titles with Renault – Alpine’s predecessor – he failed to add more in two spells at McLaren and during a five-year spell at Ferrari.

In 2018, he left the sport to try other forms of racing, winning the Le Mans 24 Hours twice and competing in the Indianapolis 500 and Dakar Rally.

See also  "Really bad": Max Verstappen rages after fuel blunder in Singapore | Formula 1 News

Alonso returned to Formula 1 with Alpine in 2021, taking his 98th and most recent podium at that year’s Qatar GP. His last win was at his home Grand Prix in Barcelona in 2013, but he’s eager to add to his 32 wins.

“I still have the hunger and ambition to fight to be at the forefront, and I want to be part of an organization that is committed to learn, develop and succeed,” Alonso said.

“I intend to win again in this sport and so I have to seize the opportunities that feel right to me.”

Vettel, who took 53 GP wins between 2010 and 2013 and won four consecutive championships with Red Bull, had tipped his friend and protege Mick Schumacher, son of the legendary Michael Schumacher, to become his successor.

See also  Japanese Grand Prix: Fernando Alonso fastest in wet first practice, Max Verstappen sixth | Formula 1 News

The England-based team, still developing since Stroll took over in 2020, have instead turned to the wealth of experience Alonso can offer.

“The whole company is very excited to bring Fernando’s incredible experience and brilliant speed and racecraft to the team,” Aston Martin said in a statement.

“The recruitment of a special talent like Fernando is a clear statement of intent from an organization that is committed to developing a winning Formula 1 team.”

promoted

(This story was not edited by The Switzerland Times staff and was generated automatically Platforms.)

Topics mentioned in this article

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here