Government reportedly orders inquiry into Nexon EV fire incident

0
33

The government has ordered an independent investigation into the burning of a Nexon electric vehicle in Mumbai, a senior Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official said on Thursday.

“We have ordered an independent inquiry to investigate the Nexon EV fire incident,” the official told PTI. The Center for Fire Explosive and Environment Safety (CFEES), Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and Naval Science & Technological Laboratory (NSTL), Visakhapatnam have been asked to investigate the circumstances leading up to the incident and to also suggest corrective measures, the official added.

Tata Motors said it was also investigating the incident of its Nexon EV fire in Mumbai.

See also  White House says companies are investing $700 million to boost production of electric vehicle chargers

In response to the incident which has been widely shared on social media, Tata Motors said in a statement on Thursday: “A detailed investigation is currently underway to establish the facts of the recent isolated thermal incident which is making the rounds on social media.” . Additionally, he said, “We will share a detailed response after our full investigation. We remain committed to the safety of our vehicles and their users.”

The company said: “This is the first incident after more than 30,000 electric vehicles have traveled a cumulative more than 100 million km across the country in almost 4 years.” In the electric two-wheeler segment, there have been numerous incidents of vehicles catching fire in the recent past. Electric two-wheeler manufacturers such as Ola Electric, Okinawa Autotech and PureEV had recalled their scooters following separate fires.

See also  Battery electric vehicles almost doubled their market share in the EU in the first quarter - Report

The fires had prompted the government to form a panel to investigate and warned companies of penalties if they were found to be negligent.

The government-appointed committee is expected to submit its report on the electric two-wheeler fires this month, according to a road ministry official.

Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari had recently said companies found to be negligent would be penalized and a recall of all defective vehicles would be ordered after the panel submits its report.

See also  Twitter ordered to censor tweets criticizing Indian censorship: report

The government had previously ordered an investigation in April after an e-scooter launched by operator Ola’s electric mobility arm caught fire in Pune.

The Center for Fire, Explosives and Environment Safety (CFEES) had been tasked with investigating the circumstances leading to the incident and also proposing corrective measures, according to the Ministry of Road Transport.


.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here