Local officials have determined that country music singer Luke Bell has died of an accidental fentanyl overdose, according to a news report.
Bell, 32, was found dead on Aug. 29 in Tucson, Arizona, near where he was last seen before being reported missing on Aug. 20, the Tucson Police Department said at the time.
An autopsy report released Monday by the Pima County Medical Examiner’s Office and obtained by local TSWT affiliate KGUN 9 said “fentanyl intoxication” was the cause of death, “taking into account the known circumstances surrounding this death, the available medical history, and the examination of the remains.”
“The manner of death is an accident,” the report said, noting that he died on August 26.
His friends, lovers and colleagues tried to find him at the time. His body was found three days later in a shady part of a parking lot near North Craycroft and East Grant roads.
Officials said drug paraphernalia was on the scene.
“Luke had a gentle heart, a wandering mind and a musical gift that he was happy to share with us and the world,” his family said in a statement to TMZ. “Unfortunately, Luke suffered from mental illness, which worsened after his father’s death in 2015.”
Bell’s 2014 debut album “Don’t Mind if I Do” led to a recording contract two years later and a self-titled album that won critics over, according to Yahoo. However, he struggled with severe bipolar disorder, which his family said was manageable for a while.
“Luke was supported through this illness by a community of loving family and friends,” their statement said. “Despite this, he was unable to get the help he needed to relieve his pain.”
“Our hearts go out to the millions of people affected by mental illness who, like us, understand the devastating disappointment of a system that consistently fails to provide caring solutions to those who suffer,” the statement concluded.
Need help with addiction or psychological problems? In the US, call 800-662-HELP (4357) for the National Helpline SAMHSA.