Trump complains Mar-a-Lago raid was one of ‘most blatant attacks on democracy’

0
29

After the release of a revealing affidavit suggesting that Donald Trump had obstructed justice and collected sensitive White House documents leading to a federal police raid on his home in Mar-a-Lago, the former president alleged that the search was one of “the most egregious attacks on democracy”. in US history.

“Which by the way, in a very bad way, goes to places it’s never seen before!” he wrote on his Truth Social account on August 27.

An affidavit for probable reason to search the former president’s property revealed that federal officials recovered 184 classified documents that had been returned to the National Archives earlier this year when officials alerted the US Department of Justice after discovering that documents such as “top secret” were marked and classified.

See also  Balmoral has always been Queen Elizabeth's happy place

Justice Department officials have launched an investigation in the belief that the documents could compromise “clandestine human sources” or the gathering of foreign intelligence if made public. A 38-page affidavit determined “probable reason to believe evidence of obstruction will be found” on his Florida property.

Officials also said that without significant editing, “the affidavit could be used to identify many, if not all, of these witnesses.”

“If witnesses’ identities are revealed, they could be exposed to harm, including retaliation, intimidation or intimidation, and even threats to their physical safety,” the file said. “As the court noted, ‘these concerns are not hypothetical in this case’.”

See also  FBI: Americans Lost Nearly $7 Billion to Cybercrime Last Year

The former president — whose baseless and ongoing story that the 2020 presidential election was stolen fueled violence in the US Capitol in an attempt to undo the results — has been furious in the days following the raid and subsequent public scrutiny. On his social media platform, intelligence officials and lawmakers have announced their own assessments of the national security risks associated with Mr Trump’s handling of documents.

A letter from the National Archives to Trump lawyers in May reported that the former president kept more than 700 pages of classified documents. The Justice Department has reportedly recovered more than 300 classified documents since Mr. Trump left the White House in January.

See also  Three bodies found by Russia after the sinking of Hokkaido's boat arrive in Japan

Investigators visited Mar-a-Lago in June and the FBI interviewed staff and others later that month.

On Aug. 5, a federal judge approved a Justice Department search warrant that “had probable reason to believe that additional documents containing classified [national defense informatio] or which are presidential records subject to records retention requirements currently remain on the premises.”

A search was carried out on August 8.

According to the affidavit of probable reason for the search, a “preliminary assessment” of the 15 boxes collected earlier this year found that 184 documents contained classified markings, “including 67 documents marked CONFIDENTIAL, 92 documents marked SECRET and 25 documents marked TOP SECRET.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here